1/2 cup dried carrot slices
1/3 cup dried onion pieces
1/4 cup dried celery slices
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup green pea flour (this requires that you grind about 1/4 cup dried split peas)
Cooked or canned ham or bacon (optional)
- Place the canned chicken broth in a medium-size pot. Stir in the carrot slices, onion pieces, and celery slices and allow to soak until the vegetables are tender (you can speed this step by simmering the broth).
- Once the vegetables are tender, bring the broth to a boil.
- Place the cold water in a separate medium-size bowl, and whisk in the pea flour to remove all lumps.
- Pour the pea flour mixture into the broth mixture and whisk until blended.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- When it has reached the desired consistency (it will thicken as it cooks), remove from the heat and stir in cooked ham or bacon. Makes approximately 4 cups.
|Split Pea Soup from Green Pea Flour|